Fire Safety Tips for Living Rooms
Although it may not seem like it, the living room is a major source of fires. Approximately 11% of domestic fires start in the living room.
In domestic fires where there is a loss of life, around 40% originate in the living or dining room. Smokers, the young, the elderly and those with impaired mobility are most at risk, with Christmas time adding to the risk of a living room fire.
Here is some practical advice on how to avoid living room fires.
Stoves, Open Fires and Chimneys
- See our page with tips on how to use a stove or open fire safely, and advice about preventing a chimney fire in your home.
- If you allow smoking in the house, provide large, stable ashtrays. A burning cigarette end can smoulder for hours before igniting
- Ensure matches and lighters are out of children's reach
- Do not smoke if you are feeling sleepy or have taken alcohol
- Check all electrical leads and plugs for deterioration, burning or fraying
- Ensure there are no overloaded sockets
- Switch off and unplug all appliances when not in use (this applies everywhere in the house)
- Be extremely careful how you use portable heaters
- Position them away from furniture, curtains and flammable items
- Ensure portable heaters are switched off and/or plugged out before you leave the room or go to bed at night
- Never move portable heaters while they are in use
- Ensure candles are in a suitable folder
- Never leave lighting candles unattended and ensure candles are in proper holders
- Position candles away from draughts
- Ensure candles are not near items that may catch fire such as curtains
- Avoid moving a lit candle
- Ensure all candles are properly extinguished before you leave the room or go to bed
- The fire alarm is the most important alarm in your house, it will notify you of a fire
- Ensure they are in every room including bedrooms as you most likely will not wake up from smoke inhalation if the fire alarm is not in the room of the fire
- Ensure fire alarms are there and working. Dublin Fire Brigade share #testittuesday on social media as a gentle reminder to check your alarms weekly
- Fit a carbon monoxide alarm for rooms with a stove, fireplace or gas/oil boiler