Mobility Aids Housing Grant
Dublin City Council provides Mobility Aids Housing Grant to assist with adaptation works which are necessary to allow you to remain living in your home.
Requirements for the grant
The person who the grant is for must:
Have the grant application approved before the work starts on the home;
- Live in the home when the work is completed.
- Have their tax affairs in order.
- Have tax clearance from Revenue if the grant is for more than €10,000.
- Show that the Local Property Tax for the home is in order.
This grant is for older people and/or people with a disability who find it hard to move around their home due to mobility issues.
Your home can qualify for this grant if it is any of the following:
- Privately owned (you or your family own it).
- Rented from a landlord with a current tenancy agreement registered with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) and you have the landlord’s permission to make the changes.
- Provided by an Approved Housing Body (a list of these can be found at www.housing.gov.ie).
- A communal residence – accommodation where people live together in group homes.
You can use this grant to improve access in your home like adding:
- Grab rails.
- A ramp.
- An accessible shower.
- A stair lift.
It depends. The most you can get is €6,000 or the total cost of the work approved by your local authority (whichever is less). This grant can cover 100% of the cost of the work, up to a maximum of €6,000.
There are some disregards and deductions that can reduce the amount of household income that your local authority takes into account. These are explained on page 8 of the application form.
Note: A grant is not available if the household income for the previous tax year is more than €30,000 after the disregards and deductions are applied.
An occupational therapist (OT) will need to assess you if you are applying for a stair lift.
You can get this report from a private occupational therapist. If your grant application is successful, your local authority will pay you up to €250 towards the cost of this assessment as part of the grant.