Housing Assistance Payment
People with a long-term housing need can avail of this scheme. To be eligible, they must be a qualified housing applicant. The HAP scheme will replace the Rent Supplement Scheme.
How it works
- The agreement is entirely between you and the tenant. We process the rent amount
- As the landlord, you will be paid through the Housing Assistance Payment directly and your tenants will pay rent contribution to us based on the Differential Rent Scheme
Benefits of HAP to the landlord
- HAP landlords are paid monthly by local authorities on a tenant’s behalf
- All payments are made electronically
- HAP payments are made regardless of a change in tenant income
- As of 1 January 2016, landlords who rent to tenants in receipt of social housing supports like HAP may avail of increased tax relief, allowing property owners to claim 100% relief on their mortgage interest, as an expense against rental income
- There are no up-front private rental standards inspections or tax compliance checks; both can follow after the tenancy and the rental payments have started, if required
How to apply?
Please contact the HAP office:
T. 01 222 6400
E. [email protected]