Dublin City Council (records)
Dublin City Council Minutes & Reports
The work of the City Council and its committees are outlined in minutes and reports, which exist in the following formats: -
- Manuscript Minutes 1841 – 1880
- Printed Minutes 1881 – 1997 (Available in the Reading Room at Dublin City Library and Archive)
- Printed Reports 1869 – 1997 (Available in the Reading Room at Dublin City Library and Archive)
Examples of some 19th century committees
- Artisans’ Dwellings Committee
- Cleansing Committee
- Estates & Finance Committee
- Finance & Leases Committee
- General Purposes Committee
- Markets Committee
- Paving & Lighting Committee
- Public Health Committee
- Waterworks Committee
Examples of some 20th century committees
- Art Advisory Committee
- Bridges Committee
- Cultural Committee
- Electricity Supply Committee
- Housing Committee
- Libraries Advisory Committee
- Lighting Committee
- Roads & Streets Committee
- Town Planning and Street Committee
- Dublin City Coat of Arms
- Dublin City Council Bye-laws
- Dublin City Council Public Health Committee
- Dublin City Council Electricity Committee
- Dublin City Council Development Plans
- Dublin City Council Planning Department
- Dublin City Council Housing Department
- Dublin City Council City Architect's Division
- Dublin City Council Graveyards
- Dublin City Council Motor Registration
- Dublin City Council Libraries
C2/Lib/KK: Kevin Street Library Collection (1899-1995)
Records created and received by Kevin Street Library that date prior to the foundation of library in 1904 and highlight the daily activity in the library throughout the twentieth century, including tumultuous periods such as World War I, Easter Rising, and the Emergency in Ireland. The collection includes letters and ephemera from publishing companies, bookbinders, lithographers, repair workshops, and members of the public. Material relating to library staff provides information on the duties carried out, the hours worked, wages earned and the relationship between Kevin Street Library and other cultural institutions and Dublin City Council. The collection also contains material relating and J.P. Whelan, the first head librarian at Kevin Street Library and to the foundation of Cumann na Leabharlann Note: Some records containing personal information are closed to public access under data protection legislation.
Dublin City Electoral Lists
Electoral Lists (also called Voters' Registration) list the names and addresses of people eligible to vote in Dáil elections, local elections and from the 1970s in European Elections. The Franchise section within Dublin City Council is responsible for the production of the register of electors who reside within the Corporation's administrative boundaries. The Electoral Lists are searchable by address only and there are gaps within the series.
Electoral Lists 1908 - 1915 Online
This Dublin City Electoral Lists Database is a Dublin City Council project. It is the first part of a wider project to digitise all of the Dublin City Council Electoral Rolls 1898-1916 for inclusion in a forthcoming database connected to literary Dublin and to Centenary Commemorations for 1913-1916. The database is fully searchable and is useful for family history, local history and social history.
Electoral Lists 1938 - 1964 Online
This Dublin City Electoral Lists database was created as part of the Celtic Trí project, part-funded by the EU Interreg programme. These records list all those registered to vote in Dublin city in Dáil and local elections, for use in polling stations at election time. This online database covers the years 1938-1964.
- The Dublin City Electoral Lists 1937-64 have been taken down from databases.dublincity.ie. For more information, please e-mail [email protected].
Voters' Registration Books for Dublin City
Information on using the Voters' Registration Books
Voter's registration section within Dublin City Council is responsible for the production of the register of electors who reside within the Council's administrative boundaries. These voter registration books list the names and addresses of people who were eligible to vote in the Dáil elections, local elections and from the 1970s in European elections.
The main unit of organisation within the voters' registration books is the registration unit and this is also known as an electoral ward or a district electoral division. For each registration unit the Dáil constituency, the Borough Electoral Area, and from the 1970s the European Constituency it forms part of are recorded. Registration units are divided into polling districts each with its own code and within each polling district street names are recorded alphabetically.
The arrangement of the finding aid reflects the arrangement of the registration units within the voters' registration books. The registration units in the registers from 1937 - 1938 up to 1963 - 1964 are entered according to the Borough Electoral Area and there is a separate volume for each BEA. The finding aid lists the registration units within each BEA.
For the voters' registration books from 1970 - 1971 onwards the registration units are entered alphabetically in large volumes that do not correspond to the Borough Electoral Areas. These registration units are listed in the finding aid along with the Borough Electoral Area they are in. Each of the large volumes has been broken into manageable sections.
The voters' registers are searchable by street name only. If a researcher wants to trace a particular individual in the registers then they must have that individual's address. To locate a street the researcher should use the alphabetical street index that accompanies the annual set of registers (there is a separate list of indexes at the back of the finding aid). From the street entry in the index the researcher will find out what registration unit and what polling district that street is in.
When the researcher knows what registration unit the street is in they should then use the finding aid to find what register in a particular year that unit is in. Once the registration unit and polling district have been located in a register streets are listed alphabetically within each polling district.
The registration units or district electoral divisions have not remained static over time. The demographic profile of different areas within the boundaries of Dublin City council have changed over time.
The recurring trend is that Registration Units have been subdivided e.g. in 1970 - 1971 the Phoenix Park Registration Unit was in 1 borough electoral area and by 1987 - 1988 it was in 4 borough electoral areas. With change occurring on an annual basis it is important to remember that streets may move from one registration unit to another or registration units may disappear to be replaced by new ones. In order to located a particular street researchers should whenever possible use the index for a particular year to find what registration unit the street is in.
The boundaries of Dublin City Council have been affected by government legislation. The Local Government Reorganisation Act of 1985 changed the boundaries of local authorities in Dublin and this by default affected the Voters' Register. One example of the change caused by this act was that Beann Eadair (Howth) which was part of Dublin Corporation was transferred to the jurisdiction of Fingal County Council and therefore electors in Howth were transferred from the Corporation's register of electors to Fingal County Council's register of electors. The voters' registers for Fingal County Council are held by Fingal County Archives which is based in 11 Parnell Square, Dublin 1.
The voters' registers are valuable from a research perspective. The registers date from 1937 (although there are some gaps in the series) to the present and this provides a very detailed picture of the number of electors in the Dublin City Council area. These registers also reflect land developments in the city that have been built in recent years.
It is important to remember that it is not compulsory for an individual to register in the voters' electoral roll and so their name will not appear in the electoral registers.
The indexes are arranged alphabetically by street name and for each street the registration unit and polling district it is in are given. The first index is the exception to this because it is organised by Dáil constituency with the electoral wards recorded alphabetically within it and the wards are divided into the polling districts where each street is recorded.
For the voters' registers that date from 1937 - 1938 to 1982 - 1983 there are 4 indexes that should be referred to.
- Corporation of Dublin Scheme of Polling Districts and Polling Places
- Voters' Registration Books: 1937 - 1938
- Corporation of Dublin Index to Polling Districts and Polling Places
- Voters' Registration Books: 1939 - 1940
- Voters' Registration Books: 1940 - 1941
- Voters' Registration Books: 1941 - 1942
- Voters' Registration Books: 1942 - 1943
- Voters' Registration Books: 1943 - 1944
- Voters' Registration Books: 1944 - 1945
- Corporation of Dublin Index to Polling Districts and Polling Places
- Voters' Registration Books: 1949 - 1950
- Voters' Registration Books: 1950 - 1951
- Voters' Registration Books: 1951 - 1952
- Voters' Registration Books: 1954 - 1955
- Voters' Registration Books: 1955 - 1956
- Voters' Registration Books: 1956 - 1957
- Corporation of Dublin Scheme of Polling Districts and Polling Places
- Voters' Registration Books: 1975 - 1976
- Voters' Registration Books: 1976 - 1977
- Voters' Registration Books: 1977 - 1978
There are no indexes for the voters' registers 1962 - 1963, 1963 - 1964 and 1970 - 1971. The Polling districts in these registers have changed from those recorded in the registers of the 1950s but it is still possible to find a street name in an electoral ward by using Index 3.
There are individual indexes for the voters' registers:
- 1983 - 1984 at the beginning of volume 1
- 1984 - 1985 at the beginning of volume 1
- 1985 - 1986 at the beginning of volume 1
- 1986 - 1987 at the beginning of volume 1
- 1997 - 1998 this is a separate index
- 1998 - 1999 this is a separate index
- 1999 - 2000 this is a separate index
There are no indexes for the voters' registers that date between 1986 - 1987 and 1997 - 1998. Researchers who want to locate a street in these particular registers should use the index that is closest in date to the year they are researching although there is a possibility that certain streets may be in different registration units to those recorded in the index.
Records of the Donore Area Bombing January 1941
The first bombing of neutral Ireland by German aircraft during the Second World War occurred on 26 August 1940, when bombs destroyed a creamery at Campile, Co. Wexford, killing three people.
On the first three days of January 1941, German bombs were dropped at a number of locations along the east coast of Ireland, including counties Carlow, Kildare, Louth, Meath, Wexford and Wicklow. On successive nights, 2 and 3 January 1941, German bombs were dropped for the first time on Dublin City in the Donore area, around the South Circular Road and in Terenure, districts where many Jewish families resided. The reason offered by Hitler’s government for the January bombings, as for the Campile bombing, was that German aircraft had mistaken the Irish east coast for the west coast of Britain. The view most commonly held in Ireland was that these particular German bombings resulted from aircraft off-loading supplies to ensure a safe return to base.
Dublin was shocked by the Donore bombings, the first to be sustained by the city during the Second World War, which was known in Ireland as The Emergency. Dublin Corporation immediately activated a plan for structural repairs to damaged property in Donore and later administered the Ireland government’s scheme of compensation under the Neutrality (War Damage to Property) Act, 1941. These files, which are preserved in the Dublin City Archives, describe the process of repair, reconstruction and compensation and give a vivid picture of the shock and distress suffered by the people of Donore.
File containing reports from Horace O’Rourke, Dublin City Architect, to P.J. Hernon, Dublin City Manager, outlining air raid precautions, reporting on progress in clearing bomb damage in the vicinity of Donore, and advising on precautions to be taken in case of future bomb attack on the city.
October 1940 - February 1941 includes:
- Report dated 7 October 1940 describing progress in provision of Air Raid Precaution measures. Describes the need for “structural first-aid” in the event of bomb damage to Dublin and outlines a scheme for putting this in place
- Report dated 9 January 1941 (incorrectly dated 1940) relating to appointment of area contractors for bomb repair damage in Rialto and Rathdown Park
- Report dated 17 January 1941 setting out the necessity for a special Repair Branch to be set up, in case of further bombing attacks on Dublin
- Report dated 23 January 1941 estimating cost of repairs to bomb-damaged property in Donore at £250,000
- Report dated 31 January 1941 describing progress of work in bomb-damaged areas to date
- Report dated 2 February 1941 setting out proposals for repair service to respond to future bomb attacks on Dublin
File containing reports on measures taken to repair property damaged in bombing of Donore area, submitted to Dublin City Manager P.J. Hernon by Dublin City Architect Horace O’Rourke; also letters from individuals who have lost property in the bombing, seeking compensation.
December 1940 - May 1942 includes:
- Report dated 21 December 1940 to City Manager from C.W. Chesson, area warden Dun Laoghaire, on Test Mobilisation held the previous day
- Memorandum dated 23 December 1940 to City Manager from Major H. Comerford, Chief Superintendent, Dublin Fire Brigade: re emergency mobilization arrangements for regular fire brigade and Auxiliary Fire Service in case of bomb attacks
- Preliminary report, dated 2 January 1941, to City Manager from Chief Air Raid Precaution Warden R.S. Lawrie, on bombing early that morning in the vicinity of Rathdown Park, Terenure
- Report dated 2 January 1941 to City Manager from Chief Superintendent, Dublin Fire Brigade, on bombing incident Terenure-Kimmage area early that morning
- Memorandum of meeting between City Manager and heads of Corporation A.R.P. Service, Sean Moylan, Parliamentary Secretary for Air Raid Precaution and Major S. O’Sullivan
- Report dated 3 January 1941 to City Manager from Chief A.R.P. Warden, R.S. Lawrie on bombing early that morning at St. Kevin’s Park and South Circular Road, near Griffith Barracks, at 3.50 a.m.
- Report dated 6 January 1941 to City Manager from City Architect stating that “the whole procedure for both damaged areas is now on a proper basis”
- Letter dated 8 January 1941 to City Architect from Master Builders’ Association, 28 Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin, laying down rates of pay in relation of demolition and reconstruction work in bomb damaged areas
- Report dated 10 January 1941 to City Manager from City Architect: update on progress in bomb damage repair
- Report dated 17 January 1941 to City Manager from City Architect outlining steps to be taken in the event of future bomb attacks on Dublin
- Letter dated 25 January 1941 from City Manager to J. Hurson, Secretary to Department of Local Government and Public Health, outlining progress in repairs to Rathdown Park and Donore Terrace area
- Memorandum dated January 1941 from Department of Local Government and Public Health, detailing arrangements authorized re damage to property arising out of dropping of bombs or similar acts, such as explosion of sea mines
- Draft memorandum, dated 31 January 1941 to City Manager from City Architect (manuscript) summarizing progress to date in effecting bomb repairs
- Names and addresses of persons made homeless by Donore Avenue bombing, and the addresses where they have been accommodated on a temporary basis stating basis for same (i.e. friends/relations/paid lodgings)
- Memorandum from A. Grimston, Area Warden, detailing evacuation in Rathdown Park area following bombing on morning of 2 January 1941
- Text of statement on the Donore bombing delivered by City Manager to City Council meeting, 3 February 1941
- Report dated 5 February 1941 to City Manager from City Architect setting out proposals for response system to be put in place for future bomb attacks, and pressing for decision
- Report dated 17 February 1941, to City Manager from City Architect: progress to date
- Precis dated 18 February 1941, outlining operations re bomb damage repair scheme, Rialto and Rathdown Park areas
- Memorandum dated 19 February 1941: complaints from tenants in Fairbrothers’ Fields re damage sustained by their houses in recent bomb attack on South Circular Road
- Letters from individuals who have sustained bomb damage, seeking compensation, February-June 1941
- Memorandum dated 24 June 1941 to City Manager from City Architect: “the heavy task of almost complete reinstatement repairs of property in this area is approaching completion and 796 claims dealt with”
- Memorandum dated 12 August 1941 to City Manager from City Architect re compensation requested from religious congregations in bombed area
File containing reports from assessors and surveyors appointed by Dublin Corporation to examine bomb damage in Donore area
January - July 1941includes:
- List dated 3 February 1941 of bomb damage repairs needed in Rialto area, giving address, occupier, nature of damage and state of work (2 pages out of original 3)
- Reports dated February 1941 to Dublin Corporation from surveyors appointed to examine damage to property in Rialto and Rathdown Park; with reports dated 22 February-21 June 1941 from Dublin Corporation to the Department of Local Government and Public Health on progress of repairs to property
- Reports dated 8 January–11 July 1941 to Dublin Corporation from William Montgomery & Son, assessors, 24 Suffolk Street, appointed as surveyors to examine damage to property in Donore Terrace and South Circular Road: including address, owner, type of dwelling, damage to furniture and effects, and estimated loss
File of correspondence with claimants for compensation under the Neutrality (War Damage to Property) Act, 1941 in relation to Donore bombing. Apart from individual householders, major properties claimed for included the National Boxing Stadium; Greenmount and Boyne Linen Company, Harold’s Cross; Hospice for the Dying, Harold’s Cross; Presbyterian Church, Donore Terrace; Synagogue, South Circular Road; Wills’ Tobacco Factory, South Circular Road; St. Catherine’s Rectory, South Circular Road; White Swan Laundry, South Circular Road.
March - December 1941 includes:
- List of persons whose property was damaged in bombing incidents of 2-3 January 1941
- Correspondence with claimants for compensation, 12 March - 17 June 1941
- Report dated 18 June 1941 to City Accountant from Dublin Corporation Housing and Supplies Section relating to damage caused to Corporation houses by barrage balloons put up by the Irish army
- Correspondence with claimants for compensation, 21 July - 19 December 1941
File of correspondence between quantity surveyors and assessors engaged by Dublin Corporation to report on bomb damage in the Donore area and Corporation officials, including City Architect Horace O’Rourke, and Chief A.R.P. Warden R.S. Lawrie. Includes accounts presented and submissions from the Chartered Surveyors’ Institution (Ireland Branch).
12 May 1941-10 September 1942 includes:
- Schedule dated 6 August 1941 of claims for compensation submitted in connection with bomb-damaged premises at Rathdown Park; Rathdown Villas; Fortfield Road; Fergus Road; Lavarna Grove; Lavarna Road; Rathfarnham Road; Parnell Road; Harold’s Cross Road; Bushy Park Road; Zion Road; Kimmage Road; and Templeogue Road.
Records of the North Strand Bombing May 1941
On the night of 31 May 1941, four high-explosive bombs were dropped by German aircraft on the North Strand area of Dublin City. The casualties were many: 28 dead and 90 injured, with 300 houses damaged or destroyed. This bombing was interpreted either as a deliberate ploy by Hitler’s government to force neutral Ireland into the war or as a reprisal for the assistance given by Dublin Fire Brigade during the Belfast Blitz. On 19 June 1941, the Irish government announced that the Nazi government had expressed regret for the North Strand bombing and had promised compensation. The North Strand bombings were the last to occur in Ireland during the Second World War.
The Irish Red Cross provided emergency shelter for people made homeless by the bombing at the Mansion House and in parish halls throughout the city. Meanwhile, Dublin Corporation was responsible for clearing the North Strand area and providing permanent alternative housing for the victims. Charleville Mall Public Library was designated as the headquarters for the bombed area and City Architect Horace O’Rourke was in charge of the clearance project, replaced later by the Chief Air Raid Precaution Warden, R.S. Lawrie. Wherever possible, houses were repaired and designated habitable, but where property had been damaged beyond repair, the occupants were re-located to the new Dublin Corporation housing estates at Cabra and Crumlin. Compensation was provided for owners of damaged or destroyed property under the terms of the Neutrality (War Damage to Property) Act 1941. Finally, Dublin Corporation acquired two areas where the bomb damage was most severe, one off Summerhill Parade and one off the North Strand, for the purpose of clearing the districts and developing a new housing scheme. A plaque to commemorate the victims of the North Strand Bombing was unveiled at Charleville Mall Public Library on the 60th anniversary, 31 May 2001.
The records relating to this process have been deposited with the Dublin City Archives and comprise two albums of original black-and-white photographs of damaged property and nine files documenting the process of repairing housing, clearing the bombed areas and re-housing the victims. The photographs of the North Strand Bombing can be viewed online and the files can be viewed at Dublin City Library & Archive, 138-144 Pearse Street Dublin 2.
Photographs illustrating aftermath of North Strand Bombing, 1941
Two albums of photographs by H. McCrae, photographer, 152 Clontarf Road, Dublin. View photographs of the North Strand Bombing.
Files Relating to North Strand Bombing
Correspondence between Dublin City Manager P.J. Hernon; Dublin City Architect Horace O’Rourke; Chief Air Raid Precaution Warden R.S. Lawrie; and the Department of Local Government and Public Health: relating to procedures for the repair and stabilization of buildings damaged in the bombing of North Strand Area.
31 May 1941-9 June 1942 includes:
- Memorandum of conference held in City Manager’s Office, 31 May 1941
- Report from T.A. Healy, secretary, City Manager’s Office, 3 June 1941: Charleville Mall Library taken over as headquarters for the bombed area
- Report from City Architect, 3 June 1941: progress in bomb damage repairs
- Instructions issued by City Architect to contractors re. repairs 4 June 1941
- Memorandum of conference held at Ministry of Finance, 6 June 1941
- Public notice issued by City Manager, 7 June 1941: repairs of bomb damage
- Instructions issued by City Architect to architects and contractors, June 1941
- Memorandum of conference held in City Manager’s Office, 13 June 1941
- Record of interview between City Manager and City Architect re. circular to architects and contractors, 13 June 1941
- Letter from Sean Moylan, T.D., parliamentary secretary, Department of Defence, to City Manager, 13 June 1941: “I visited the North Strand on 12th instant and to say that I was amazed and shocked at the lack of progress is to put it lightly.”
- Report from City Architect to City Manager is response to above letter, 15 June 1941
- Appointment of R.S. Lawrie, Chief Warden, Air Raid Precaution Department, as officer in full control of repairs of bomb damage, 16 June 1941
- Report from City Architect to City Manager, 16 June 1941
- Precis of operations by City Architect’s Department re. operations of repair scheme17 June 1941
- Letter from R.S. Lawrie to Secretary, Department of Local Government and Public Health, outlining difficulties faced in completing repairs to bomb damaged areas, 18 June 1941
- Letter dated 17 June 1941 from City Manager to Sean Moylan, T.D., parliamentary secretary, Department of Defence, in response to his dated 13 June (see above)
- Letter dated 26 June 1941 from Secretary, Department of Local Government and Public Health, to R.S. Lawrie, in response to his dated 18 June 1941
- Memo from John P. Keane, Finance and General Purposes Committee, City Hall, to City Manager, 17 June 1941, outlining suggestions for treatment of bombed area
- Map of bombed area, to be acquired for clearance, 3 June 1941
- Memorandum from City Manager, 10 July 1941, describing inspection of bombed area undertaken by him the previous day
- Memorandum of conference held in City Manager’s Office, 31 July 1941
- Report from R.S. Lawrie to City Manager, giving information requested by Alderman Alfred Byrne, 30 August 1941
- Report to City Manager from Michael O’Brien, Acting Planning Officer, re. North Strand Area Bomb Damage, dated 8 September 1941
- Letter dated 8 September 1941 from City Manager to Department of Local Government and Public Health, outlining reasons for delay in repairs to roofs, North Strand area
- Progress report forms re. bomb damage repair work, October 1941
- Reports dated 4 and 9 February 1942 to City manager from R.S. Lawrie, outlining his response to the Neutrality (War Damage to Property) Act, 1941
- Report dated 12 February 1942 from City Manager to Department of Local Government and Public Health, outlining response to the Neutrality (War Damage to Property) Act, 1941
- Report dated May 1942 summarizing work carried out by Dublin Corporation in relation to repairs, North Strand area
Correspondence between Dublin City Manager P.J. Hernon and the Irish Red Cross Society relating to persons left homeless by bombing. [Emergency care was provided by the Irish Red Cross] Includes:
- Memorandum of conference held in City Manager’s Office, 13 June 1941
- Report of meeting held on 2 July 1941 at Irish Red Cross, 20 Merrion Square between members, General Purposes Committee, Dublin City Council; City Manager; and members of the Dublin County Committee, Red Cross
- List of refugees under care of Irish Red Cross at Mansion House, Dublin, 2 July 1941
- List of houses in North Strand Bombing area declared habitable, giving names of occupants, June 1941
- List of persons from North Strand Area allotted houses by Dublin Corporation up to and including 9 June 1941
- Form of requisition to Dublin Corporation for emergency supplies of bedding, kitchen utensils, chairs etc.
- Memo to City Manager on requisition of Charleville Mall Library as headquarters for bombed area and arrangements made, 3 June 1941
Correspondence between Dublin City Manager P.J. Hernon and solicitors for claimants in respect of bomb damage at North Strand; includes representations on behalf of claimants made by Alderman Alfred Byrne.
17 June 1941- 6 February 1942, relating to:
- 580 North Circular Road
- 40 North Clarence Street
- 3 North William Street
- 5 Empress Place
- 26 North Strand
- Presbyterian Church, North Strand
- 582 North Circular Road
- Hanvey’s Shop, Bride Street
- 156-7 North Strand
- 582 and 584 North Circular Road
- Hyacinth Street
- 1 Aldborough Place
- 27 North William Street
- Stevens’ Cycle Factory, 171 North Strand Road
- Memorial re Buckingham Street and Summerhill Area
- 7 Charleville Mall
- Dispensary premises, 56 North Clarence Street
- 32, 39, 40 and 41 Bessborough Avenue
- 8 Bayview Avenue
- Shamrock Place and Shamrock Terrace
- 12a North Clarence Street
- 27 Leinster Avenue
Correspondence between Dublin City Manager P.J. Hernon and Chief Air Raid Precaution Warden R.S. Lawrie in relation to structural repairs to premises affected by North Strand Bombing.
July 1941-February 1942, includes:
- 47 and 48 North William Street
- Report dated 5 September 1941 to City Manager from R.S. Lawrie re. progress of repairs in North Strand Bombed Area
- Ossory Road, Newcomen Avenue, Newcomen Court
- 80 Amiens Street
- 8 Canning Place
- Upper and Lower Jane Place
- 56 North Clarence Street
- Report dated 21 October 1941 from R.S. Lawrie to Department of Local Government and Public Health re. question of redecoration of bomb damaged premises
- 39, 40 and 41 Bessborough Avenue
- 52/3 North Clarence Street
- 134 North Strand Road
- Progress reports for bomb damage repair work, November 1941 - February 1942
Correspondence between Dublin City Manager P.J. Hernon; Dublin City Architect Horace O’Rourke; and Deputy City Architect, Conor McGinley re implementation of survey of buildings damaged beyond repair in North Strand Bombings
25 July 1941-11 November 1941, includes:
- Report dated 25 July 1941 to City Manager from Deputy City Architect outlining procedures for determining extent and nature of bomb damage
- Memorandum of conference held on 25 July 1941 on compensation (property) claims likely to be made as a result of bomb damage in North Strand/Summerhill area
- Survey dated August 1941 by Dangerous Buildings Section of premises scheduled for demolition in Dublin City, giving number of families accommodated in each
- Memoranda dated 29 August 1941 and 16 September 1941 to City Manager from City Architect on Bomb damage and decayed property
- Report of conference held in Department of Finance, 9 October 1941, to assess claims under Neutrality (War Damage to Property) Act 1941
Notices issued by the Dublin City Manager P.J. Hernon of intention to acquire premises affected by North Strand Bombing under the Neutrality (War Damage to Property) Act 1941, with the intention of demolishing such premises in the interest of public safety, as being beyond repair.
11 November - 18 December 1941, includes:
- 3, 4 and 5 Charleville Mall
- 47 North William Street
- 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8 Charleville Cottages
- 2 and 3 Summerhill Parade
- 12, 13 and 13a North Strand
- 36 Portland Row
- 24/25 Portland Row (Brennan’s Terrace)
- 26/7 Portland Row (Brennan’s Terrace)
- 2a Dunne Street (St. Joseph’s Cottages)
- Caretaker’s Cottage and Shamrock Garage (adjoining Quinn’s Factory)
Correspondence and reports relating to acquisition of North Strand area by Dublin Corporation for clearance under Compulsory Purchase Order.
July 1941-February 1942, includes:
- Summary dated 19 July 1941 of recommendations submitted by Dublin Corporation for amendments to Neutrality (War Damage to Property) Bill, 1941
- Form prescribed by Minister for Finance for application for compensation under submitted by Dublin Corporation for amendments to Neutrality (War Damage to Property) Act, 1941
- Map of area affected by bomb damage at North Strand: showing irreparably and badly damaged property; and area suggested for acquisition and re-development
Payment of rates in respect of damaged buildings
Directions to Dublin City Manager from Department of Local Government and Public Health in respect of this matter, September 1941
Correspondence between Dublin City Manager, P.J. Hernon; City Accountant Sean O’Suilleabhain; and Messrs. Montgomery & Son, Surveyors, 24 Suffolk Street, Dublin: in relation to assessment by this firm of damage sustained in the North Strand Bombing Area. Including detailed accounts.
August 1941-June 1942