Maintenance and Adaptions

Improving the quality of Dublin City Council’s Housing Stock
Since 2014 over 2,500 Dublin City Council properties have been refurbished under the Department of Housing, Community and Local Government’s Returning Vacant Properties to Productive Use programme.
This programme is co-funded by the Irish Government and the European Union. The refurbishments have made a significant contribution to improving the standard of our housing stock and increasing the quality of life of our tenants.
Works include:

  • Insulation
  • Door and window replacement
  • Energy efficient heating systems
  • Kitchen and bathroom upgrades
  • Fire safety improvements

To date over 10 per cent of our Housing Stock has been improved through this programme.
Ireland’s European Structural and Investment Funds Programme 2014 – 2020 co-funded by the Irish Government and European Union.

Dublin City Council are responsible for:

  • Roofs
  • External Walls
  • Floors
  • Windows, excluding glass
  • External doors

How long will my repair take?

We group all requests for repairs, depending on the nature of the problem, as emergency, urgent or routine repairs. We try to respond to requests according to the guidelines below.





Smoking Fuse board, Faulty sockets, tiles falling off roof, water leak



No water in hot tap,

5 working days


Replace toilet cistern

8 weeks

Can I make alterations to my home?

If you want to make alterations to your home, you must first apply in writing to the Housing Maintenance Section for permission to carry out works. You may also need planning permission for certain works or alterations such as putting in a driveway.

How do I manage condensation and mould?

You will find information about this in the Tenant Handbook

How do I tell the Council about a vacant property?

Vacant properties can become a target for anti - social behaviour. If there is a vacant property in your estate, please don't assume we know about it. Contact your local office if you think a  property is empty. The sooner we find out about vacant properties the sooner we can arrange to have them re-let. Also, if you see people interfering with a property that you know is vacant, please let us know as soon as possible to avoid any damage or possible danger.

What to do if you smell gas

If you smell gas, call the Gas Networks Ireland 24 hr Emergency service number; Phone: 1850 20 50 50.

Maintenance and servicing of your central heating system

  • Dublin City Council maintain and service gas central heating systems in our properties
  • Contact us at Phone: 01 222 3660 / 222 2608
  • This does not apply if you have installed a gas central heating yourself. (However, you can avail of this service by agreeing to pay the boiler maintenance charge)
  • It is illegal for anybody other than a Registered Gas Installer to service your boiler
  • Tenants should never attempt to alter the gas meter, repair or service the boiler or heating system. If your boiler or heating is not working, please contact us

Tampering with the boiler or other gas appliances can put you and your family at risk of serious injury.

Installation of Pay As You Go energy meters:

All energy suppliers require proof of written confirmation from the City Council before a meter change.

Contact Us:

Phone: 01 222 2222

Repair Requests Freephone: 1800 200 668

If you have an emergency after 5.00pm or at the weekend, Phone: 01 679 6186.