Social Work Section

Social Work Section (formerly Housing Welfare Section) provides the following services

  • Social Work Service
  • Mediation
  • Exceptional Social Grounds (ESG) Scheme

Social Work Service

If you are a tenant of Dublin City Council, or in need of housing support, we can assist you with;

  • housing and tenancy issues,
  • rent arrears,
  • child and family matters,
  • marital issues,
  • addiction,
  • young people and education,
  • needs of older people,
  • vulnerable people
  • and person’s with mental health difficulties.

We can talk to other departments in Dublin City Council on your behalf or refer you elsewhere.


We provide a professional Mediation Service to Dublin City Council tenants and non tenants.

Mediation can be used for neighbour disputes, nuisance/noise disputes, conflict within families, landlord/tenant disagreements, home owner/tenant disagreements.

Mediation is confidential, non-confrontational, voluntary and free of charge.  Contact your Project Estate Officer in your local area office

Exceptional Social Grounds (ESG) Scheme

You are eligible to apply if you are on Dublin City Council’s Housing List or Transfer List

How can I contact a Social Worker?

Phone:   You can phone a social worker on 222 2233. A member of our administrative team will take your details and we will call you back. 

When:   Monday to Friday, 9.15am - 5.00pm. 

From Monday 3rd December 2018 the Duty Service provided by the Social Work Section in the Civic Offices will be by appointment only.  Services Users should  phone 01 222 2233 if they want to enquire about making an appointment.

Walk-in local area clinic:  You can walk into our weekly social work clinic, normally held in Dublin City Councils local offices. No appointment is necessary.  Before attending the clinic please phone your local office to check the clinic is running.

Professional Referrals:   Professionals seeking to refer a client, please use this form.

Home Visits:   Firstly, please contact a social worker by phone, through our duty service, clinic service or by professional referral.  We can visit you at home in certain circumstances.

What we don’t do

  • If you have concerns about the safety or welfare of a child, you should contact TUSLA, Child and Family Agency and An Garda Síochána.
  • If you are experiencing anti-social difficulties or threats you should contact the Project Estate Officer in your local area office  and An Garda Síochána.
  • If you have medical difficulties that are related to your housing situation and you wish to make an application for a priority on medical grounds, you should contact the Housing Allocations Section.
  • If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness please click here for information.
  • The Social Work Section does not have financial resources to assist with debt.

Contact Us

Social Work Section
Block 1, Floor 2
Civic Offices
Dublin 8

T: 222 2233
Fax: 222 2699