Where to Park in Dublin City
Parking regulations are designed to make life more pleasant, more orderly and more convenient for everyone.
Why we have parking restrictions in Dublin city
- To eliminate obstructions and reduce congestion
- Improve road safety
- Maximise the availability of on-street parking spaces
It is your responsibility to ensure you comply with the law and city regulations when parking.
You can park in the following places:
- In a parking space using a pay-and-display ticket, Parking Tag , Resident's Parking Permit, Visitors Parking Permit or a Disabled Person’s Parking Permit. To apply for a Disabled Person’s Parking Permit contact either of the following organisations: www.ddai.ie (Disabled Drivers Association of Ireland) or www.iwa.ie (Irish Wheelchair Association).
Where NOT to park
There are several areas in Dublin City where you are not allowed to park. It is illegal to park in a way which interferes with traffic flow or obstructs or endangers other road users.
If you ignore these restrictions your vehicle is liable to be clamped or towed away.
- No parking in bus lanes and clearways during hours of operation
- No parking on cycle tracks on a 24 hour basis unless indicated on a street sign
- No parking on double yellow lines
- No parking opposite a continuous white line
- No parking in bus/coach parking areas
- No parking on a footpath (either partly or wholly)
- No parking on single yellow lines during hours indicated on street sign
- No parking within 5 metres of a junction
- No parking at a pedestrian crossing or traffic lights, within 15 metres on the approach side or 5 metres on the other side
- Do not obstruct any entrance for vehicles except with the occupier’s consent
- No parking at a school entrance
- No parking on a grass margin or median
- No parking in disabled bays without a valid disabled parking permit
- No parking in loading bays during hours indicated on street sign (usage only for goods vehicles for a max of 30 minutes)
- No parking in pedestrian areas
- No parking in taxi ranks
- No parking at a bus stop
For further details on parking restrictions see The Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997 and Parking Control Bye-Laws, 2014.