Roadworks, Licences and Information

Roadworks licences


To excavate the public road carriageway, footpath and/or associated grass verge, you must apply for a road opening licence from Road Maintenance Services and also a Roadworks Control licence.


Notification must be submitted to the Roadworks Control Unit in relation to all proposed roadworks in the Dublin City Council area.

All notification and other requirements for roadworks in Dublin City are set out in the Roadworks Control Directive.

Applications for Roadworks Control licences are submitted by the relevant utility (ESB, Gas Networks etc) or main contractor (not subcontractor or individuals) through the Roadworks Control Online Extranet System.

For any further information please contact the Roadworks Control Unit.

Roadworks Information/Complaints

For current roadworks and temporary road closure information, click here or to make a complaint you can contact the Roadworks Control Unit T. (01) 222 2222.

Roadworks Control Directive
Contact Details

Transportation, Roads & Traffic

Telephone Number