Commemorative Plaques Scheme
Information on the City Council's Commemorative Plaques Scheme.
What is the Dublin City Council Commemorative Plaques Scheme?
Dublin City Council's Commemorative Plaques Scheme is intended to facilitate the formal commemoration of people, organisations, and events that have made a unique and significant contribution to the life or history of Dublin through outstanding achievement, distinctive service or significant community contribution.
Who and what can be commemorated by a plaque?
Individuals, organisations, and events can be commemorated by a plaque, but there are some requirements:
- Proposals to commemorate living persons will not be considered
- Nominees will have to have died at least 20 years previously or have passed the centenary of their birth, whichever is earlier
- The person/s must have been born in or lived in Dublin or have had strong and/or enduring connections with the city
- The person/s must have made a unique and outstanding contribution to the life or history of Dublin through outstanding achievement, distinctive service or significant community contribution
- In the case of an event to be commemorated, this must have occurred in Dublin and the event will have to have occurred at least 20 years previously
- You must have the written permission of the owner of the building on which the plaque is to be erected
- In order to ensure the uniformity of Dublin City Council’s plaques, we have set a standard design, and word, character, and line limits
- The Irish language version will appear first on the plaque and the council will make the translation
- Dublin City Council will have the final decision as to the wording on the plaque
How do I propose that a plaque be erected?
You can propose that a plaque be erected by submitting this application form.
List of Dublin City Council Commemorative Plaques
- Jane Wilde. Located at 1 Merrion Square. Unveiled on 19/11/21
- Frederick Douglass. Located at IFI Dublin (formerly Quaker Meeting House ), Eustace Street, Temple Bar. Unveiled on 21/10/21
- Anna Parnell. Located at AIB Bank, O’Connell Street, Dublin, the headquarters of the Ladies’ Land League in 1881/82. Unveiled on 20/09/21
- Last sailing of a Guinness barge, 23 June 1961. Located at Victoria Quay, Dublin 8. Unveiled on 23/07/21
- Margaret Keogh. Located at Fitzwilliam Quay, Ringsend, Dublin 4. Unveiled on 12/07/2021
- Leo Rowsome. Located at Belton Park Road, Donnycarney, Dublin 9. Unveiled on 04/06/2021
- Philip Lynott. Located at Leighlin Road, Crumlin, Dublin 10. Unveiled on 17/12/2020
- Garda Richard Fallon. Located at 24 Arran Quay, Dublin 7. Unveiled on 22/07/2020
- Constance Markievicz. Located on Surrey House, 49b Leinster Road, Rathmines, Dublin 6. Unveiled on 15/07/2019
- Iris Murdoch. Located at 59 Blessington Street, Dublin 7 (plaque currently in Blessington Basin Park). Unveiled on 11/07/2019
- Hirscfield Centre. Located at 10 Fownes street upper, Dublin 2. Unveiled on 20/06/2019
- Seamus Ennis. Located at Burgess Galvin, Jamestown Road, Finglas, Dublin 11. Unveiled on 03/05/2019
- Beatles only Irish performances. Located at 12 Middle Abbey Steet, Dublin 1. Unveiled on 07/11/2018
- Hanna Sheehy Skeffington. Located at Little Ship Street, Dublin Castle, Dublin 2. Unveiled on 13/06/2018
- S.S. Hare. Located on Dublin Docklands Building, Custom House Quay, Dublin 1. Unveiled on 30/09/2017.
- S.S. Adela. Located at 81A Campshires, Sir John Rogersons Quay, Dublin 2. Unveiled on 30/09/2017
- Seán McLoughlin 91916) . Located at 5 North King Street, Dublin 7. Unveiled on 03/05/2017
- Father Mathew Park (1916). Located at Saint Mary's National School, Fairview, Dublin 3. Unveiled on 14/12/2016
- Royal College of Surgeons (1916) . Located at 123 Saint Stephen's Green, Dublin 2. Unveiled on 12/12/2016
- Four Courts Garrison (1916). Located at Capuchin Mission Office, Church Street, Dublin 7. Unveiled on 07/12/2016
- Annesley Bridge (1916) . Located at Annesley House Public House, North Strand Dublin 1. Unveiled on 12/11/2016
- Ballybough Bridge (1916). Located at Meagher's Public House, 283-285 Richmond Road, Fairview, Dublin 3, D03 DK26 Unveiled on 12/11/2016
- Samuel Little Hardy (obstetrician and physician). Located at 9 Merrion Square, Dublin 2. Unveiled on 28/09/2016
- James D'Ombrain (Inspector-General of the Coast Guard). Located at 36 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin 2. Unveiled on 23/09/2016
- Ireland's First Radio Broadcast. Located at Grand Central Bar 10/11 O Connell Street, Dublin 1. Unveiled on 21/07/2016
- Joseph Plunkett (1916). Located at 26 Upper Fitzwilliam Street, Dublin 2. Unveiled on 04/05/2016
- Tom Clarke Bridge. Formerly the East Link Bridge, Unveiled on 03/05/2016
- Jacobs Factory Garrison (1916). Located at DIT, Bishop's Street, Dublin 2. Unveiled on 29/04/2016
- O'Connell's CBS (1916). Located on School Grounds, North Richmond Street, Dublin 1 . Unveiled on 27/04/2016
- Richard O'Carroll (1916 volunteer). Located at O'Carroll Villas Flats, Dublin 2. Unveiled on 27/04/2016
- Gerald Keogh (1916 volunteer). Located at 117-119 Grafton Street, Dublin 2. Unveiled on 25/04/2016
- Marrowbone Lane Garrison (1916) . Located at Eir Ireland Building, Marrowbone Lane, Dublin 8 . Unveiled on 24/04/2016
- Mendicity Institution Garrison (1916). Located at Usher's Island, Dublin 8. Unveiled on 24/04/2016
- Professor Edward Dowden, Poet & Literary Critic. Located at 50 Wellington Road, Dublin 4. Unveiled on 29/11/2015
- Leo Whelan, Artist & Portrait Artist. Located at 65 Eccles Street, Dublin 7. Unveiled on 02/10/2015
- Shelbourne F.C, Founded here. Located at Slatterys pub, Grand Canal Street, Dublin 4. Unveiled on 04/09/2015
- Patrick O'Connell, Footballer & Manager. Located at 87 Filzroy Avenue, Drumcondra, Dublin 3. Unveiled on 05/06/2015