Fire Safety Certificates FAQs
Fire safety certificates frequently asked questions.
Who can prepare a fire safety certificate application?
Usually a fire safety certificate application is made by a fire safety consultant, architect or engineer who is familiar with the building regulations and the procedure for applying for a fire safety certificates.
The content of the application needs to be comprehensive in nature. A person preparing a fire safety certificate should have a sound knowledge of building construction and fire safety design. If the application submitted is lacking in information or drawings, then the local authority will consider it invalid and will return it to you together with your fee.
What if I require a fire safety certificate but do not have one?
If you build without a fire safety certificate, you will leave yourself open to prosecution under building control legislation.
If you decide at some later date to sell your premises the buyer's solicitor will, in all likelihood, look for a copy of the fire safety certificate for the building. If you are unable to produce a fire safety certificate you may find it difficult to sell.
If you build or extend a public house/licensed premises without a fire safety certificate you may not be able to renew your licence. It is, however, possible to apply for a regularisation fire safety certificate.
Viewing/copying of fire safety certificate files/documentation
The following information applied to the Dublin City Council's administrative area only.
To view fire safety certificate application files(s):
- Please contact us at [email protected] or T. (01) 222 4000 to get relevant file number(s) and a costing for ordering file(s) to view.
- Payment must be made prior to files being ordered.
- For credit / debit card payments please T. (01) 222 6600.
- Give reference FBFSC and file number and amount payable to customer service agent (payment line).
- Cheques should be made payable to Dublin City Council
- Email [email protected] quoting all file number(s) to be viewed and attach copy of receipt
- Files will be ordered once the above is received and an acknowledgement will be emailed to the customer confirming same (every order will have a unique reference number which should be quoted in all further correspondence)
- When file(s) are available an email will be sent to arrange a viewing at a mutually suitable time
- If a copy of compliance report(s) and drawing(s) are required they need to be identified when files are being viewed
To order a copy of fire safety certificate(s)
- Please contact us at [email protected] or T. (01) 222 4000 to get relevant file number(s) and a costing for ordering certificate(s)
- Payment must be made prior to certificate(s) being copied
- Copy of a fire safety certificate is €12.50 (each)
- For credit/debit card payments please T. (01) 222 6600
- Give reference FBFSC and file number and amount payable to customer service agent (payment line)
- Cheques should to be made payable to Dublin City Council
- Receipt number to be emailed to [email protected] and quote all file number(s) of certificate(s) to be copied
- Please state in email if you wish copies to be hard copy/scanned copy or held for collection
Files from storage:
Subsequent file (file 2-6)
€50 – for 1st file (subject to max. 6 files in any one order)
€5 – for subsequent files (subject to max. 6 files in any one order)
Copy of fire safety certificate
Copy of compliance report:
Over 100 pages
75c per page after 100 pages
All other A4 pages (other than compliance report and A4 drawings)
75c per page