Abnormal Load Permit
You will need a permit to move goods by road if your cargo:
- Width - exceeds 2.90 metres
- Length - exceeds 16.5 metres
- Weight - exceeds 44 tons
The fee for the permit is €31.
Step 1: Complete the abnormal load permit application form
- Download the abnormal load application form
- Download the abnormal load application form for exceptionally sized vehicles
Your application must be made at least 30 working days prior to the date of your proposed journey. Additional information may be requested by Dublin City Council as part of your application.
Your permit covers journey only and expires 3 months from the date of issue.
Note: You must submit this form every time you want a new permit (there are no automatic renewals).
Step 2: Return the completed form to us
Return the completed form by post, in person or by email.
Enclose the fee in cheque or money order, made payable to ‘Dublin City Council’. You can also pay using credit card or debit card. Please do not send cash in the post.
If you wish to pay in cash, visit our public offices at the address below.
Step 3: Notify An Garda Síochána (Irish police)
Contact the following Superintendents in An Garda Síochána to tell them that you will be transporting an abnormal load through the city.
An Garda Síochána
T. 01 666 9800
An Garda Síochána
T. 01 666 0000
Note: You must also notify the local Superintendents for any other area through which you intend to travel. Contact An Garda Síochána at Dublin Castle for more information.
Step 4: Notify any other local authorities
You must also notify the local authorities for any other area through which you intend to travel.
This includes other areas of Dublin, including:
- North Dublin city outskirts/North Dublin county: Fingal County Council
- South/South east Dublin county: Dun Laoghaire - Rathdown County Council
- South/South west Dublin county: South Dublin County Council