The Civics Institute of Ireland 1914 – 1960
The Civics Institute fostered the concept of town planning in Ireland and set up the Dublin Civic Survey Committee. In the 1930s the Institute extended its activities to include the establishment of Children's playgrounds and co-operated in the foundation of a Social Studies course in Trinity College Dublin.
Jacob's Biscuit Factory Archive
The archives of W & R Jacob and Company were acquired by Dublin City Library and Archive in 2012. Comprising both the business archives donated by Valeo Foods and the Appleyard Collection donated by Douglas Appleyard, the 330 boxes contain a wide range of records, relating to over 150 years of biscuit making in Dublin.
This archive represents a rich and significant contribution to the study of business and commercial life in Dublin in the late 19th and 20th centuries. It also offers valuable information about life in the community of over three thousand Dublin workers, mostly women, who were engaged at any given time during most of the company’s manufacturing period.
Following a major cataloguing project, the collection was opened for public access in the Reading Room of Dublin City Library and Archive in 2016.
General Factory Records
During cataloguing, the collection was arranged into different series such as administration, property, finance, engineering, manufacture, audiovisual, photographs, advertising, and artefacts Summary information regarding the history of the company and the content of each series can be viewed at the collection level description.
For detailed descriptions of items in the collection, please consult the Jacob’s Biscuit Factory Archive Database in our Reading Room which has over 3,350 entries.
JAC/07 Jacob’s Photographs
The photograph series comprises 240 files containing 8,400 loose photographs, albums, and slides. These files can be viewed in our Reading Room. We have also initiated a pilot project to make each individual photograph available online. Images which have been digitised and catalogued to date can be viewed at: digital.libraries.dublincity.ie/vital/access/manager/Collection/vital:45269
JAC/04 Human Resources Records
Individual employee records are not accessible via Jacobs Biscuit Factory Archive Database. Please read carefully our policy on accessing employee records and email us at [email protected] if you wish to make an enquiry.
Dublin City Archives has carried out a number of oral history interviews to capture stories regarding Jacob’s Biscuit Factory.
Ian Fox worked for Mack Kyle in Irish International Advertising for many years starting in the late 1960s. In this interview he recalls the origination of the 'Jim Figgerty' advertising campaign for W & R Jacob & Co and talks about the response it generated in the national media.
Gerry Griffin is the son of singer and actor Patrick Griffin who played the infamous Jim Figgerty in the Jacob's advertising campaign of the late 1960s and early '70s. He recounts stories of his fathers singing career before he took on the Figgerty role and his own experiences as a child when his father became identified as the famous missing fig roll filler.
Library blog articles/resources about Jacobs
- W & R Jacobs Archives at Dublin City Library and Archive
- Jacob’s Biscuit Factory, St John Ambulance and 1916
- Jacob’s Biscuit Factory and the 1916 Rising
- Changing Face of Jacob's Biscuits - Image Gallery
John V. O'Connor Papers
This collection was created by Sean O'Connor in the course of his work on constructing the O'Connor family tree as well as writing his memoir 'Growing Up So High' (2013). His family lived in Dublin in the Liberties area for over seven generations and the collection contains documents accumulated by Sean O'Connor such as photographs, correspondence, personal diaries, religious ephemera, births, marriages, death certificates, and other material. Featured in the collection includes family links with the 1798 Rebellion, papers relating to James O'Neill and the Irish Civil War, and material relating to Joe O'Neill who worked as a Fianna Fáil organiser.
Right: Sean O’Connor at his school, Francis street CBS, 1951
Mount Street Club (1934-2006)
The Mount Street Club was established in 1934 by Philip Townsend Somerville-Large and Major James Hardress de Warrenne Waller to provide assistance to unemployed men in Dublin. The Club, was based at 81/82 Mount Street, Dublin 2 until 1974, and then moved to 62/63 Fenian Street. It worked on the principle that instead of handing out payments such as ‘the dole’ or charitable donations it was much better for men to work in providing for their own livelihood and that of their families.
The Club purchased a farm, ‘Larkfield’ in Clondalkin, Co. Dublin which gave the men employment and provided food and other materials for use in producing other goods. In the late 1980s the Club was involved with the community schemes of Grand Canal Docks Trust and the education and skills training of the Irish Nautical Trust. It was eventually dissolved in 2006. The collection includes minutes, correspondence, financial and legal records, reports, plans and photographs which paint a comprehensive picture of how the Club functioned.
Patrick English (1894-1970), Frongoch Letters
Patrick English (1894-1970) was part of the F. Company, 4th Battalion, Dublin Brigade who fought in the General Post Office Garrison in Easter 1916. After the surrender, he was imprisoned in Stafford, later transferred to Wormwood Scrubs and then interned in Frongoch, until he was released at Christmas 1916.
The collection consists mainly of correspondence between Patrick and various family members, discussing conditions in Frongoch and how his family were coping in Ireland without him. It also includes notes drafted by English about his actions during Easter Week, 1916. It was kindly donated to Dublin City Archives by his son – also named Patrick English.