Lord Mayor's Coat of Arms
The Coat of Arms of the Lord Mayor of Dublin is derived from the City Arms.
The figures of Law and Justice have been omitted, together with the floral emblems, and there are three important additions: the City Sword, the City Mace and the Cap of Maintenance, which are all closely identified with the Lord Mayor.
It has been customary to carry a City Sword in procession before the Mayors and Lord Mayors of Dublin ever since King Henry IV granted that right to the city by the Royal Charter in 1403. The Sword and Mace still play a prominent part in important civic ceremonies such as the conferring of the Honorary Freedom of the City of Dublin.
The Cap of Maintenance was a ceremonial chapeau, or hat, which was once borne with the Sword and Mace in processions through the city. The first Cap of Maintenance was a gift from King Charles II to the then Mayor of Dublin in 1661.
The Coat of Arms of the Lord Mayor of Dublin is displayed above the entrance to the Mansion House. A modified version of the Lord Mayor's Coat-of-Arms, bearing the Sword and Mace, but without the Cap of Maintenance, may be seen on many of the city's lamp-posts.
The Coat of Arms of the Lord Mayor encapsulates much of the city's history and traditions. Its continued use today is a mark of respect to the past.
For further information on the City Regalia, including the City Sword and Mace, click here.