Sábháilteacht ó dhóiteán ag an obair
Three golden rules:
- Look around your workplace and eliminate the hazards
- Install a fire detection and alarm system to give early warning
- Prepare an evacuation plan and practice it regularly
Fire Control Strategies
Fire safety must taken into account when designing building or changing the use of an existing building. Fire Safety Certificates are required for all building construction, alterations, and extensions.
Make sure furnishings and fittings are up to the required standards and that all certification is up-to-date and ready for inspection.
Make sure your business adheres to standards for Active Fire Protection and Passive Fire Protection.
The keeping of fire safety records is an important element of the proper fire safety management of a premises. All workplaces must have a Fire Safety Register
Your Fire Safety Register should keep a register of the following:
- Identify risks in your workplace and eliminate hazards
- Install service and maintain a Fire detection and Alarm system and Emergency Lighting
- Provide service and maintain Fire Extinguishers
- Train staff and practice fire drills
- To alert occupants to emergency conditions
- To initiate emergency response
- To enable occupants to extinguish small fires
- To ensure a defined and visible route of escape
- To ensure a constant supply of water
- Fire doors stop the spread of fire and smoke for some time
- A fire door cannot stop the spread of smoke and fire if it is open!
- Fire doors should be fitted with a self-closer
- Doors must be kept shut - no wedges holding open!
- Fire doors can have an electromagnetic hold open device connected to fire alarm
- Staff training is a Statutory Requirement
- Training must be specific to your organisation
- Training must be provided by a competent provider.
- Training must be assessed and repeated regularly
- Fire Drills must be held minimum twice a year.
- Simulate one exit blocked by fire.
- Choose safe assembly area.
- A procedure must be put in place to ensure the premises is vacated.
- Keep a record and detail any problems encountered
- Management functions.
- Assigned duties. Record of drills/evacuation.
- Inventory of fire protection equipment.
- Details of inspection and test including Certificates