About the Active Travel Network
Dublin City Council’s Active Travel Network will enhance quality of life by connecting all people through the delivery of a walk-wheel-cycle network. This will be achieved by improving access, connectivity and sustainable mobility and will also contribute to a citywide reduction of transport-related carbon emissions. Over the next eight years, the active travel network will grow from its existing 10km to a connected network of 310km across the city. This will offer a network of projects that are safer, inclusive and more sustainable.
Dublin City Council is developing a safer, inclusive, and sustainable walk-wheel-cycle network.
A safer and connected active travel network will be achieved by:
- Incorporating segregated cycle lanes at suitable locations
- Widening and decluttering footpaths
- Considering the additional requirements of impaired users
- Promoting biodiversity through tree planting and landscaping
- Engendering social interaction by enhancing communal spaces
This is a transportation initiative being delivered by Dublin City Council and funded by the National Transport Authority.