16.19 Nursing Homes
(See also Chapter 12)
There is a continuing and growing need for nursing homes and in particular, because of the aging population structure in the suburbs, for elder care homes. Such facilities should be integrated wherever possible into the established residential areas of the city, where residents can expect reasonable access to local services.
In determining planning applications for change of use of a residential dwelling or other building to nursing/elder care home, the following factors should be considered:
- Compliance with standards as laid down in the Statutory Instrument No. 415 of 2013, Health Act 2007 (Care and Welfare of Residents in Designated Centres for Older People) Regulations 2013
- Compliance with the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) National Standards for Residential Care Settings for Older People in Ireland (July 2016), and any successor document
- The effect on the amenities of adjoining properties
- Adequacy of off-street parking
- Suitable private open space
- Proximity to local services and facilities
- The size and scale of the facility proposed: the scale must be appropriate to the area.