Appendix 4: Freedom of Information
The Freedom of Information Acts 2014 gives you the legal right:
- To access your personal records and other official records of Dublin City Council
- To correct or update personal information held about you by Dublin City Council, where this information is incomplete, incorrect or misleading
- To be given the reasons behind any decisions taken by Dublin City Council that affect you
You can submit a Freedom of Information request in writing to us in the following ways:
- By official Freedom of Information Request Form or by letter quoting the Freedom of Information Act 2014 to:
Dublin City Council
Freedom of Information Officer
Information Management Unit
Block 3, Floor 4,
Tel: (01) 222 3775
email: [email protected]
The Freedom of Information Request Form is available on our web-site or from our offices.
Note: In order to avoid delays please be as specific as possible when you are requesting records.
Your request will proceed through the following steps:
- We will acknowledge receipt of your request within two weeks
- We will make a decision within four weeks (note, if the request is particularly complex or there are large numbers of records involved, this may be extended to eight weeks). In general, if we do not respond within four weeks, the Act deems your request to have been refused
If your request is initially refused or part-refused you may appeal this decision to a higher officer within Dublin City Council. Again appeal requests must be received in writing to the address above. If your request is for non-personal records a fee of €30 made payable to Dublin City Council would apply at this stage.
Information on the type of information we hold and the structure of our organisation is available in our ‘Guide to the functions, structure and records of Dublin City Council’ which is available on our web-site or in hardcopy by contacting us at our office.
If you are still not satisfied, you may appeal the decision to the Office of the Information Commissioner which is an independent office with powers to review decisions made by Dublin City Council.
Office of the Information Commissioner
18 Lower Leeson Street
Tel: 01 639 5689